[Tweeters] Parks' Proposal Puts Seattle Natural Areas in Jeopardy

Mark Ahlness mahlness at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 15:17:45 PDT 2015

Seattle Parks' most protected lands are in danger of disappearing. Parks
Staff is proposing "Supplemental Use Guidelines", which would open the
city's Natural Areas and Greenspaces to active recreational use - you name
it, it will be there.

This will place critical urban habitat for nesting and migratory birds in
even more jeopardy. That we are even having this conversation in Seattle -
is shocking, and unconscionable.

There is a new petition online asking the Seattle Board of Park
Commissioners to reject these new guidelines. I urge everyone who cares
about urban wildlife habitat to sign, and share:
https://www.change.org/p/preserve-seattle-parks-natural-areas-and-greenspace

Even if you don't live in Seattle, I encourage you to take a look, and
consider signing. This proposal is a major change in policy that will not go
to the voters, and it could easily set a precedent for parklands in other
cities. Many thanks - Mark

Mark Ahlness
Seattle, WA
www.SeattleNatureAlliance.org