[Tweeters] Klickitat Trail Hike & Lyle Balch Cemetery

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sun Jun 14 11:08:28 PDT 2015

On Saturday, Sherry and I hiked the Klickitat Trail into Swale Canyon. We started at the Wahkiacus access and hiked several miles in. We tallied 30 species and here are a few of the birds seen.

Wild Turkey 8 (Hen with 7 chicks)
Turkey Vulture 5
Vaux's Swift 4
Calliope Hummingbird 1
Western Wood-Pewee 3
Dusky Flycatcher 1
Ash-throated Flycatcher 1
Cassin's Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 2
Western Scrub-Jay 2
Rock Wren 1
Bewick's Wren 1
Black-throated Gray Warbler 8
Wilson's Warbler 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 3
Black-headed Grosbeak 5
Lazuli Bunting (Everywhere along the trail)

We also tallied 10 species of butterflies and several dragonflies which included the Grappletail that were everywhere.

We also made a stop at Lyle Balch Cemetery. Here we had;

Wild Turkey 14 (2 hens with 12 chicks)
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Vaux's Swift 2
Black-chinned Hummingbird 1 (Female with a nest.)
Western Wood-Pewee 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Western Bluebird 8
Chipping Sparrow 2