[Tweeters] Capitol Forest potential breeding Townsend's Solitaire

Ross Geredien goodmigrations at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 16:35:33 PDT 2015

This morning I went to the Rock Wren (of 2014 fame) spot up in Capitol Forest to refind Marv Breece's Townsend's Solitaire, which he reported along the forested section of C-4,000 going up the hill from there. I searched the whole area going up the road, along the ATV trails at the top of the ridgeline, and then along the spur road where the Rock Wren was found last year. About 2/3 of the way out from the main road, I flushed a TOSO from below the road. It flew up to the top of a Doug fir, perched on a few different trees, acting somewhat agitated, and proceeded to sing for 10 minutes or longer until after I left. I took some not very good photos and recorded the bird. This was my first in Thurston County, and it most likely suggests breeding TOSO in the Capitol Forest. It would be great to confirm the presence of any nesting activity. The bird's behavior suggests "probably breeding - agitated behavior/territorial defense". Needless to say, I was elated after five failed attempts at finding one in Cap Forest this year.

Ross GeredienOlympia, WA