[Tweeters] Unusual Flicker

Sammy Catiis hikersammy at msn.com
Thu Jun 11 13:50:19 PDT 2015

>From Cornell:

The red-shafted and yellow-shafted forms of the Northern Flicker formerly were considered different species. The two forms hybridize extensively in a wide zone from Alaska to the panhandle of Texas. A hybrid often has some traits from each of the two forms and some traits that are intermediate between them. The Red-shafted Flicker also hybridizes with the Gilded Flicker, but less frequently.

I myself have seen a Yellow with the Red Mustache here in Arlington.. it's one of those species that since mixed, you see variations.. although most prominently original species are more common.

Sammy in Arlington