[Tweeters] future woodpecker heaven?

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 16:46:43 PDT 2015

Dear Tweeters,
There's a good-sized forest fire burning up at Colonial Creek. From what I gather, it is in Skagit County, maybe partly in Whatcom, southwards from the Colonial Creek Campground. That's reached along SR 20 eastwards from Newhalem and Diablo. I believe the fire is on National Park land, so I am hoping that the misguided "salvage" operations that so often follow forest fires might be avoided in this case. In a year or two, with a bit of luck, we might have Three-toed Woodpeckers up there, maybe even Black-backed Woodpeckers! The area is reasonably easy to reach on a good trail, not terribly steep, and already quite good for birding without fire effects.
Here's hoping.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch