[Tweeters] Re: Possible Washtucna Mourning Warbler

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:29:21 PDT 2015

Tweeters:

I listened to the recording and pardon me being a naysayer, but I'm unconvinced this is a Mourning Warbler. MacGillivray's has a remarkable number of variant songs, and this specific one I've heard before in central Skagit Co. Here is another similar to the audiotaped bird (at least in that it is without the second, lower-pitched phrase): http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Geothlypis-tolmiei?pg=3 I should also relate a story of a bird heard many years back (thinking 1990s) in June, near Palmer Lake in Okanogan Co. The song was one of the variant songs (higher, sweeter than the usual one or two-part burry, slurred songs), quite close to this recording: http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Geothlypis-philadelphia?dir=0&order=cnt&pg=2 I was convinced that I had scored a Mourning, but after a half-hour of hunting, the bird at last revealed itself--your friend and mine, the 'ol Mac (a male). There is so much overlap in the songs of the two species, seems the call note is more reliable, with a visual. Scott AtkinsonLake Stevensmail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com