[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon Kittitas trip on June 3

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Sun Jun 7 14:43:57 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets

A belated report on a Seattle Audubon trip to Kittitas County on Wednesday
June 3rd. We started at Issaquah at 5:30 with the OSPREYs at their nest,
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, AMERICAN CROW and
MALLARD. The day started out with high overcast, but as we climbed up I-90
we got right into the misty clouds. A quick stop at Tinkham Road failed to
show us American Dipper, but we did have AMERICAN ROBIN, BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAK, and high overhead a BLACK SWIFT. We made the usual rest stop at
Travelers Rest at Snoqualmie Pass and had COMMON RAVEN, AMERICAN CROW, male
and female RUFUOUS HUMMINGBIRDs at the feeders, YELLOW WARBLER across the
street at the willows, a DARK-EYED JUNCO, VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW, AMERICAN
ROBIN, EUROPEAN STARLING, SONG SPARROW.

We turned off I-90 down the hill into Hyak and stopped and scanned the many
hummingbird feeders at a residence - RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDs visiting the
feeders. AMERICAN ROBIN, YELLOW WARBLER, SONG SPARROW. At the sewage ponds
we saw BARROW'S GOLDENEYE (male and female), WOOD DUCK (male and female),
VIOLET-GREEN, CLIFF, NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED and BARN SWALLOWs. Across I-90 we
turned toward Gold Creek and stopped at the bridge where we had NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW, YELLOW WARBLER, SPOTTED SANDPIPER (flying up the
creek) and a relatively close look at AMERICAN DIPPER. A single VAUX'S SWIFT
came over. A Gold Creek Pond we had EVENING GROSBEAK (brief looks), CANADA
GOOSE, WOOD DUCK, GREAT BLUE HERON, VIOLET-GREEN, BARN and NORTHERN
ROUGHT-WINGED SWALLOWs, STELLER'S JAY, VARIED THRUSH, WILSON'S WARBLER and
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD. This whole time we had a very light mist, but
pleasant temperatures.

We dropped east on I-90 and took the Stampede Pass turnoff. We saw, or
heard, WILSON'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, SONG SPARROW, WARBLING VIREO,
AMERICAN ROBIN, SONG SPARROW, WESTERN TANAGER (male), and RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKER. As we worked our way further east we began to break out of the
clouds and get some sunshine. Along the way we saw OSPREY, TURKEY VULTURE at
Easton. Our next stop was at the WDFW access at the end of Hundley Road
(take the Golf Course Rd exit and cross to the east side of I-90). We had a
nice active morning there with a perched BARRED OWL right next to the road
driving in to the access, HAIRY WOODPECKER, WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, WILLOW
FLYCATCHER, AMERICAN CROW, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH,
VEERY (nicely calling and singing), SWAINSON'S THRUSH, AMERICAN ROBIN,
SPOTTED TOWHEE, SONG SPARROW, DARK-EYED JUNCO, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK.

We went back down to cross under I-90 and take the frontage road to the
Pebble Beach Rd intersection by the Yakima River. The usual NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWs were there as were ROCK PIGEONs on the railroad bridge
and numerous BREWER'S BLACKBIRDs in the subdivision and lots of VIOLET-GREEN
SWALLOWs. But the neatest sight was a female COMMON MERGANSER with 20 young
ducklings (we speculated over nest dumping or shared groups). We took the
Roslyn turnoff and stopped to scan Bullfrog Pond, seeing WILLOW FLYCATCHER,
TURKEY VULTURE, AMERICAN ROBIN, CEDAR WAXWING, YELLOW WARBLER, WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROW, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD. We took the back road into the Cle Elum area
with a stop at Denny Road to check the hummingbird feeders out. A TREE
SWALLOW looked out of the nest box, but no hummingbirds were evident.

Down the hill (now in clear, sunshine weather) to Charter Road along the
Railroad Ponds. This was a great spot and we saw or heard COMMON GOLDENEYE
(female with young), CALIFORNIA QUAIL, NORTHERN FLICKER, WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE,
WARBLING VIREO, TREE, VIOLET-GREEN, NORTHEN ROUGH-WINGED and BANK SWALLOWs,
PYGMY NUTHATCH, HOUSE WREN, MARSHWREN, WESTERN BLUEBIRD, AMERICAN ROBIN,
EUROPEAN STARLING, MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, YELLOW
WARBLER, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (only one), SONG SPARROW, BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAK, BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, HOUSE FINCH, PINE SISKIN
and AMERICAN GOLDFINCH.

We turned off of I-90 at the Thorp Rd. exit and along Killmore Rd saw
CALIFORNIA QUAIL, RED-TAILED HAWK, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE. Near the Robinson
Canyon Rd. intersection with Killmore Rd we saw a SWAINSON'S HAWK being
harassed by AMERICAN CROWs. On Silverton Rd, we picked up DOWNY WOODPECKER.
Around the corner on Galaxy Rd. there was a KILLDEER on the scruffy lawn at
one of the houses. We returned through Thorp and saw a HOUSE SPARROW.

We climbed up Hayward Rd. and saw at least 12 pairs of MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDs, a
lot of CLIFF SWALLOWs by a canal crossing, and at the upper end of Hayward
another SWAINSON'S HAWK and a EASTERN KINGBIRD. Along Bettas Road we saw
AMERICAN ROBIN, SAGE THRASHER, EUROPEAN STARLING, BULLOCK'S ORIOLE. Along
Swauk Prairie Rd. we saw WESTERN BLUEBIRD, MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD, CHIPPING
SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD, and PURPLE
FINCH.

We had a great time with some early mist, clearing to sun and warm (but not
hot) temperatures, lots and lots of bird activity (much song), and good
companions. We wound up the day with 79 species.

Good birding!

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

Mail to bell asoc at iso med ia dot com