[Tweeters] VEERY and LESSER GOLDFINCH at Tiny's Land, n. Lake Stevens

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 6 21:28:56 PDT 2015

Tweeters:

Wasn't really birding that much but the warm clear weather delivered good migrants up here at Tiny's Land in n. Lake Stevens. First, while watching a number of passerine visitors at mid-day coming by the pond for a drink or bath, a VEERY popped into view. There were several SWAINSON'S THRUSHES that had come by, as they breed at several sites on the yard's periphery and nearby. While our pond can hardly be called a real riparian environment, there is a splendid full Red-Osier Dogwood (Cornus stolonifera) that has proven a preferred stop spot close to the water, and there is another Cornus and other deciduous shrubs at the other end. Anyway, the VEERY stopped at the Red-Osier fleetingly, then flew off rapidly into dense mixed forest cover.

If this wasn't enough, about and hour and a half ago, after checking the mail, I walked underneath the powerline crossing through the open area and ran into a LESSER GOLDFINCH. The bird flew over with an AM. GOLDFINCH. The flight call was the multi-note rapid series all on the same pitch, very unlike the AMERICAN which gave the typical flight call for that species. I was able to watch the bird for a few seconds as it flew off.

Details for this bird, and the VEERY, and the full site list, are available at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23807801.