[Tweeters] Mute Swans and a lot of other stuff...

Hal Michael ucd880 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 19:42:15 PDT 2015

I agree with Tim. E-bird should have a classification simply as "seen", maybe with notes for obvious escapee (jesses, for example). Couple decades ago I am press sure I had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo along a creek near Olympia. Essentially saw the belly, back, and some of the tail. While fairly sure of what it was, there is certainly not enough detail or photograoph for a record. Yet, if there accumulate a number of these "questionable" records in an area then perhaps it is worth a serious look. Also, as Time notes, ignoring a species as "not established" and then dropping them on the list creates a shortened history. All introduced birds, or natural immigrants like Cattle Egret, started out as simply an odd bird here or there.

H al Michael
Olympia WA
360-459-4005 (H)
360-791-7702 (C)