[Tweeters] Morning at Eloika Lake

Terry Little terry at crossoverchurch.info
Tue Jun 2 17:57:55 PDT 2015

Hello,
After the severe storms that blew through the Spokane area last night, I
thought I would check out Eloika Lake this morning to see if anything
strange might be around. I was rewarded with a couple of unexpected finds.
There was a male Canvasback. Canvasbacks are rare on the lake anyway, but I
have never had one in June. One Red-necked Grebe. They used to nest on the
lake, but now only pass through and in relatively small numbers. After a few
minutes, I found three light terns flying from the north end of the lake to
the south. They came close enough to easily tell they were Forster¹s Terns,
rare in Spokane County. About 10 minutes later, I saw two more terns coming
from the north. These were Common Terns, rarer than the Forster¹s. They hung
around for 10 minutes or so, then exited like the Foster¹s.

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa