Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jul 30 11:47:44 PDT 2015

Tweets – a gorgeous, gorgeous dawn today, with crystal clear skies, orange sun on Mt. Rainier, and wispy ground fog swirled across the meadows. Really, you should have been there. Only negative: no owls (except for the babies Matt heard in the windmill around 4 a.m.)

The rest of the day was remarkable both for the quiet and for the unexpected. Except for a huge jump upwards in the number of CANADA GEESE (I counted 140), birds were few and far between, but interesting.

Highlights:

Common Merganser Lone duckling just below the weir
Green Heron Juvenile at Rowing Club pond
Virginia Rail First one since April; heard along slough
Spotted Sandpiper 2-3 at weir; looked like adult and 1-2 babies
Eurasian Collared-Dove Flock of 9 over mansion
Rufous Hummingbird Still at least 1 in Pea Patch. May linger through August.
Pileated Woodpecker One west of the park at 6:00
Purple Martin Adults continue to feed young at gourd
BANK SWALLOW One gave us a great look at the Lake Platform
Brown Creeper Many sightings (5+), singing
Black-thr. Gray Warbler 2 along west edge of Dog Meadow
Western Tanager 1-2 along west edge of Dog Meadow
BULLOCK’S ORIOLE 1 along west edge of Dog Meadow

With today’s COMMON MERGANSER sighting, we’ve now recorded that species in every week of the year. Finally filled in that gap :)

I believe the EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE flock is a new High Count for the park.

This is only the 2nd or 3rd record for BANK SWALLOW at Marymoor, and my first, personally. There is some consistent seasonality to the sightings and suspected sightings, with four reports all between July 15 and August 8.

Today’s BULLOCK’S ORIOLE sighting ties a July 30, 2009 sighting as our latest fall record.

In all, 63 species today.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com