[Tweeters] Breaching the Lower Snake River Dams

Connie Bickerton connieb_1999 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 22:43:14 PDT 2015

4 species of salmonid's in the Snake River system are currently listed on the Endangered Species list Fall run Snake Chinook, Spring/Summer run Snake Chinook, Snake River Sockeye, and Snake River Steelhead.  At least $50 million has been spent to improve salmon transport through the dams, with no appreciable improvement to wild fish returns.  More projects are planned, costing more taxpayer money.
Container traffic from the Port of Lewiston has collapsed. From a high of 17,590 containers in 2000, traffic dipped to 3,240 in 2014. With the withdrawal of the container carrier business Hapag-Lloyd from the Port of Portland, that number is now zero.

The next expenditure on the dams is turbine replacement. 3 Turbines on the Ice Harbor Dam were recently upgraded at a cost of $97 million.   24 Turbines in total need to be replaced on the dams - an estimated incremental cost of $680 million.   The dams only supply approximately 4% of BPA's power, the cost to purchase that power on the open market would be considerably less.
The dams were never intended to provide water control, and have no legal provisions for use as irrigation.
Since you seem to think this is a "city" thing, I've included sources from areas directly impacted by the dams removal.  .
http://www.idahorivers.org/news/?id=484

http://www.friendsoftheclearwater.org/lower-snake-dam-removal-makes-sense/
http://www.friendsoftheclearwater.org/the-five-most-blatant-myths-about-freight-transportation-on-the-lower-snake-river/

http://www.snakeriversalmonsolutions.org/Solution.aspx

I'm not a fan of wasting taxpayer money, I hope you will take a look at the articles I've linked to.
ThanksConnie From: Doug Schonewald <dschone8 at donobi.net>