[Tweeters] Mason County shorebirds

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:57:20 PDT 2015

Hey Tweets!

I only had the morning to check out Theler and Belfair State Park today in Mason County, so I missed the best tides, but still found a good mix of shorebirds!

At Theler, I found Long-billed Dowitchers and a Lesser Yellowlegs, both new for the year for me, as well as a nice bunch of peeps to sort through. I wasn't able to pull anything interesting out of the Least and Western Sandpipers, but a fair number of them were pretty cooperative as they fed on both sides of one of the bridges along the walk. Nice views and a nice chance to match up all of the field marks and vocalizations. I'm feeling better armed if I do find a Semipalmated Sandpiper now! Killdeer, Spotted Sandpipers and a Semipalmated Plover rounded out the shorebirds. Nothing else of note, except for a bunch of weird looking, weird sounding young passerines!

166 for the county year list with those shorebirds!

Tim Brennan
Renton