[Tweeters] Snohomish/Skagit shorebirding

Marv Breece marvbreece at q.com
Mon Jul 27 21:04:48 PDT 2015

At Eide Road today in Stanwood:
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Western Sandpiper - about 400 juvs w/ adults mixed in
Semipalmated Sandpiper - I counted 6 when the WESAs would sit still for a few seconds; no doubt there were more
Pectoral Sandpiper - 1 adult
Bonaparte's Gull - 1 in fresh juv plumage
Dowitcher - 24; probably adults of both species

Channel Drive, Skagit County:
Greater Yellowlegs - 1 adult
Least Sandpiper - 1
Bank Swallow - quite a few, impossible to count. Photos:
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863729
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863731

Game Range, Fir Island, Skagit County:
Least Sandpiper - a few
Western Sandpiper - 75 juv
Merlin - made 4 passes at the above WESA without success; very dark bird
Greater Yellowlegs - a few
Lesser Yellowleg - 1 adult

All birders have seen shorebirds tuck a leg for awhile and even hop around on one leg. The Lesser Yellowlegs at the game range apparently had but 1 leg. I watched it for probably a half an hour or longer. It would contort its body in order to stay balanced:
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863716/medium
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863719
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863721
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863723

At times, after hopping on one leg, the bird would collapse into the water.
http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/image/160863725

This was sad to watch, but the bird was definitely successful in finding food.

Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA
marvbreece at q.com

PARKS ARE FOR EVERYONE