[Tweeters] Breeding Chipping Sparrow in Seattle

FRANK BROWN franklauriebrown at msn.com
Fri Jul 24 13:00:10 PDT 2015

I saw an adult chipping sparrow in my north Seattle yard a couple months ago for the first time. I assumed it was just a spring migrant. It hung around for two days and disappeared.
Starting last weekend, I saw an adult chipping sparrow again, every now and then. I assumed it was a post-breeding migrant or lost bird.
I was surprised today when I saw it again, on my platform feeder, picking up seeds and feeding two begging young. So, it must be the same bird, which stayed around the yard somewhere and nested.
I think breeding chipping sparrows are unusual in Seattle, so I thought it worthwhile to report it to Tweeters.
Frank BrownNorth SeattleNorth Park neighborhood (north of Greenwood, south of Bitter Lake, east of Greenwood Avenue, behind the cemeteries)