[Tweeters] Caracara sightings

Patricia Taylor pat.mary.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:59:54 PDT 2015

I was wondering if any Tweeter member knows if the first Crested
Caracara recorded in Washington in spring of 1998 was accepted by the
records committee. I believe that it was rejected originally as it was
regarded as an escape. The bird eventually made its way to Drury Inlet
in BC: May 4-June 3, 1998 and the Washington committees rejection was
acknowledged in the province. Has it now been accepted as the status
has changed in the Northwest?

Three sighting have been made this summer in the Northwest with one in
western Washington, one in Jasper Alberta, and one yesterday at
Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. (The photo can be found at
bcbirdalert.blogspot.ca). There have also been two recent records in
the interior of British Columbia, one at Fort Fraser August 2005 and
Revelstoke June 2011.

Keith Taylor