[Tweeters] Snohomish County - Eide Road Shorebirds

Rick Taylor taylorrl at outlook.com
Mon Jul 20 22:48:25 PDT 2015

Tweeters,

Tina and I spent 3 and a half hours watching the shorebirds at the middle
pond at the end of Eide Road yesterday as part of a Bird Studies Canada
research project. We left just before high tide. There was a very nice
assortment of shore birds present:

Killdeer - 2

Greater Yellowlegs - 31

Lesser Yellowlegs - 5

Least Sandpiper - 22

Pectoral Sandpiper - 3

Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2

Western Sandpiper - 36

Short-billed Dowitcher - 2

Long-billed Dowitcher - 39

Wilson's Snipe - 1

Red-necked Phalarope - 1

This is always a nice place for shore birds. The ponds are recharged by
leakage through the temporary dike that starts to occur around the 9-10 ft
tide level. The ponds are most used by shorebirds once the nearby mudflats
are completely covered by the tides at about 9 ft. The higher the tide the
better. You do have to walk back through the water leaking under the
temporary dike, so you may get your shoes a bit wet.

Enjoy!

Rick