[Tweeters] Thanks Wilson Cady for #211 rock wren

Bob rflores_2 at msn.com
Sat Jul 18 11:58:59 PDT 2015

Thanks to Wilson who gave me a tip on where to find a rock wren for Clark Co, WA. From Grouse Vista Trailhead on Rd 1200 walk south from the trailhead to Pyramid Peak. From the trail you can see the rocky hillside. I came to an old trail ( blocked by stacked tree trunks) that went down hill and closer to the rocky area. I hiked up this trail for a distance and sat and listened. It did not take much time and I could hear a wren calling quite a distance toward a large out cropping of granite. I do not know if the bird was there but mention it more for orientation. Most of the view of the mountainside is blocked by trees but if you move around you can get a view of some of it. I never saw a bird but could hear the calling bird. I gave up on trying to see it and moved back up to the main trail. From there i found it difficult to see the mountain side and never heard the calling wren. The trail I was on was rough so keep that in mind if you venture that way.

Also seen in a forging flock on the main trail included 6 red-breasted nuthatch, 5 Wilson's warbler, 1 yellow-rumped warbler, 1 hermit warbler, 1 black-throated gray warbler and 3 chestnut-backed chickadee.

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA