[Tweeters] some yak on what was in Hank's "food fight" video - 7/17/15

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 13:56:07 PDT 2015

Many thanks to Hank for capturing a very illuminating moment in Merlin growth as far as what the the next stage of food acquisition will be like for the young Merlins.
I and a couple of folks I showed this few-second piece to, believe that the adult (female ?) Merlin could certainly be giving some training in the snatch technique. She and the male must be cutting back on the 'fast' food deliveries to the juveniles and are phasing in initial stages of get-it-yourself techniques.
It took a closer and repeated look at Hank's video, to figure out that the Merlin with the prey was an adult (yellow feet and cere, good balance, good hold on the prey,etc.) and that the juvenile thief was perhaps only partially successful in wresting the fresh morsel from the parent. And, instead of taking her meal to another tree and eating it under the cover of some conifer boughs, as she had been doing, she ate it at one of the trees that was a common gathering spot for the young, thereby assuring that at least one or 2 of the 4, started getting the idea of this change in procedures !
I welcome any and all thoughts or facts you may have on this :-)

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast,net