[Tweeters] Parula is actually an Orange-Crowned Warbler

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Wed Jul 15 06:47:27 PDT 2015

Matt and Tweeters,

Sheesh! I had a very similar experience with an Orange-crowned Warbler
singing an unusual song at Burnaby Lake Regional Park near Vancouver, about
a month ago. Orange-crowns have a thin trill which usually drops in pitch at
the end, but occasionally is steady in pitch. This bird had a trill which
went UP the scale, sounding very similar to a Northern Parula. Since this is
a very rare bird in the Vancouver area (only two previous records), I
decided I had better get a look at the bird before I alerted local birders.
It was singing in a stand of birches near the Burnaby Lake rowing club, but
refused to come closer to the road where I could see it. After 20 minutes of
thrashing around in dense undergrowth, I finally got a good look at it, and
by George, it was an Orange-crowned!

So don't be apologetic. These oddballs were invented just to make life
difficult for us! Some birds seem to go out of their way to imitate another
species that is much rarer. It keeps life interesting!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net