[Tweeters] Northern Flicker Intergrades

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 12:40:03 PDT 2015

Grace,

In my experience (in my own yard and elsewhere and from specimens at the Slater Museum) red-shafted Northern Flickers with red nape markings are not uncommon as breeders in Washington. I don’t think those individuals are intergrades or should be reported as such when they are otherwise typical red-shafted. I think the red nape markings have been incorporated into these populations genetically over many generations and don’t indicate intergradation with yellow-shafted populations. It would indeed be interesting to see what proportion of breeding flickers have such red, probably higher than most of us think, and very interesting to map the extent of that all over the West.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle