[Tweeters] Mt. Rainier - Snow Lake and Westside Rd.

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Fri Jul 10 23:36:16 PDT 2015

Sherry and I hiked out to Snow Lake in Mt. Rainier today. We started with low misty clouds which lifted, but never burned off. On the way out we found another singing VESPER SPARROW. I did not get the best look, but I did the see it was a small slender sparrow with white outer tail feathers as the bird flew over and down into a meadow, and the song was right on the money. We also had a singing FOX SPARROW, a different song. Here is what we saw on our hike.
Vaux's Swift 3
Northern Flicker 2
Olive-sided Flycatcher 2
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Common Raven 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
Pacific Wren 2
American Dipper 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Hermit Thrush (lots)
Varied Thrush 3
Cedar Waxwing 6
Townsend's Warbler 3
Hermit Warbler 1
Vesper Sparrow 1
Fox Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 7
Red Crossbill 2
Pine Siskin 9
At the lake we watched several Pika’s collecting and feeding on grasses, and we heard several others.

As we were leaving, we decided to make a stop at the end of Westside Rd. Here we had;
Band-tailed Pigeon 3
Vaux's Swift X
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
Steller's Jay 2