[Tweeters] fine Merlin action, especially at Shoreline site - 7/9/15

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Thu Jul 9 15:39:02 PDT 2015

I broke my "never before 10" rule and showed up at the Echo Lake- area site by 7:30 this morning, as I had heard from several sources, that NOW is the time. They were right ! Great views of the young on a couple of deadtop firs, waiting for a parent to show up in the distant sky, heading their way with prey, and then chasing and mobbing the adult, until one of the anxious kids received the prey and tried to carry it away from its siblings, to eat it in peace, usually on a branch of a rather densely-branched fir tree. Betsy and I saw one aerial prey transfer between the male adult and a juvenile. and at least 2 other prey drops. The action and calling went on until 12:30, when I left. There's a really good chance that it will continue much of the day and evening today and tomorrow, maybe longer. As for the activity level in Pinehurst, it declined somewhat the past 2 days, but may pick up again...
As usual, if you want more info and locations, I'll be happy to provide some.

Here are this morning's photos - I may add more from this evening. https://flic.kr/s/aHskfUo1yM

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net