[Tweeters] Hutton's Vireo Question

earthman1950 at whidbey.com earthman1950 at whidbey.com
Tue Jul 7 18:39:18 PDT 2015

I have read the same thing about Hutton's Vireos, but I keep track of
bird vocalizations, and during the 4 years we've lived here on south
Whidbey Island, I have heard them sing in every month but December.
This year I have heard Hutton's Vireos singing starting on the 15th of
January and at least several times every month since then  including
one bird in mid-May that sang and sang after they are supposedly no
longer singing.  I have also learned that they are more likely to
sing when the weather is sunny, especially early in the year.  I have
watched a male singing over and over near an active nest while young
were still in the nest when birding at Larrabee State Park. Recently
in late June, I heard two birds singing in our yard, one of them
likely a young male trying out his new songs. It's hard to figure out
when/why they sing. They can be silent for hours and then sing strong
songs for 20 minutes or only for a few seconds before becoming silent
again.

George Heleker
Whidbey Island
earthman1950 at whidbey.com