[Tweeters] Caracara in danger?

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:47:41 PDT 2015

Hi,

I've heard many birders refer to "reimbursing lost chickens". Maybe someone else has heard differently since I was there on July 2nd, but when he was talking to us (he was actually friendly enough towards the end of my stay), he told us that he was only WORRIED that the caracara would maybe snatch one of his small chickens.

My mom's theory was that the caracara was waiting for the goats to stir up a snake or other prey item, but the homeowner theorized that the caracara was in fact scoping out his hens. "He can have one of the roosters; I got six or seven of 'em," he joked, "but not one of the little birds!" Right then, he didn't sound too angry at the bird at all.

It may sound a bit counterintuitive, but I think that though he doesn't like the visitors, he is secretly a bit amused by the bird. That was certainly the impression I got from that conversation; it bodes well for the caracara, I hope.

Anyways, that's all I have to say at the moment. I feel reasonably confident and hopeful that this situation will be resolved peacefully and with the best outcome for the caracara, no matter what action is taken.

Good birding, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com