[Tweeters] 4th of July halfheated Big Day

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Jul 6 10:33:37 PDT 2015

Hello all,
Mike and I did our annual Big Day in Walla Walla county on the 4th - because of the heat we took a siesta from 2 - 7 pm - but still ended with 131 species for the day - the last a Horned Lark at 10:15 pm in the road coming down Lewis Peak.

We started at 4 am and drove up Biscuit Ridge - many birds including Dusky Grouse but NO Cassin's Finch, Pine Siskin or Crossbill. Out to the WWRdelta where we found Franklin's Gull and Marbled Godwit along with the usual shorebirds.

In the evening there was a Pectoral Sandpiper on Mill Creek behink Kmart in WW and up Mill Creek were Cedar Waxwings EVERYWHERE.

Worst misses include Bewick's Wren, Downy or Hairy Woodpecker and Kingfisher.

This morning I walked Rook's Park and found our first Red-eyed Vireo of the year - it was singing a quarter mile east of the park - you take the trail up over the hill above the dam - past the second bench.

The family of Pileated Woodpeckers nested again above the first parking spots at the park - 3 young were begging this morning - always fun to watch.
Lesser Goldfinches were everywhere at the park - 1 pair on the weeds at the entrance.

Good birding, ML