[Tweeters] Caracara in danger?

Bud Anderson falconresearch at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 12:59:41 PDT 2015

Sounds like a reasonable fear.

I think as bird people, we often forget that much of the rest of the world
does not share our interest, passion and curiosity for the avian part of
life. And many people out there still have a difficult time understanding
that passion.

This guy is apparently one of them. But I think that we also have to
respect that he probably lives out there to get away from people, perhaps
strangers in particular. Like us.

So, if I may be so bold, I would advise people to be extremely respectful
towards him. No one wins in a conflict like this, but there is a good
chance the bird could lose.

As far as a suggested solution, here is a proposal for all Tweeterdom to
consider.

I can go there, talk to the guy, attempt to capture the bird (they can be
very difficult to catch), re-locate it and put a transmitter on it so it
can still be followed. We could release it somewhere safer and away from
potential conflict. Perhaps here on the Skagit or in a similar habitat.

Now I expect that this proposal is going to start a firestorm here on
Tweeters and I can understand why. Some probably think it is really a dumb
idea to put this out there at all.

We'll see.

Opportunistic? Yes, admittedly. So we can get that one out of the way right
now.

I had considered doing this earlier because I am really interested to see
where this bird ultimately goes once he moves on. Great opportunity for
some basic raptor research. No one has ever tagged a "wandering" Caracara
before. We don't know what it is going to do. Stay? Go north? Go south?

But, frankly, I didn't want to offend people and start a big controversy so
I passed on it. I know that there are many people that want to see it and
add it to their list.And I respect that.

However, based on the latest reports, I am re-considering. But not without
some input and comment first.

So what does everyone think? Let's hear from you. What is the consensus
from this group?

And, please, try to keep your responses civil and rational so we can all
feel free to comment.

Pretty sure we all share an interest in the welfare of this bird.

Bud Anderson
Falcon Research Group
Box 248
Bow, WA 98232