[Tweeters] Mt. Rainier - Sunrise (Another good birding day)

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sat Jul 4 23:59:38 PDT 2015

Sherry and I went to the Sunrise side of Mt. Rainier and hiked down into Berkeley Park. We passed by Frozen Lake, which wasn’t frozen at all. About 95% snow free at the lake, and all the lake edges are snow free. Should be good for shorebirds later on. Our first good bird came just past the junction of the Wonderland Trail and Berkeley Park. A strange call/song came from a small patch of Subalpine Firs. The bird was a VESPER SPARROW. It was close enough to see the chestnut lesser coverts and white outer tail feathers when the bird flew. The sparrow flys down into the meadows, and uses the trees as a perch. I think this bird is on territory. We saw it in the morning and later in the afternoon in the same place. I was able to obtain some photos. Our second good bird was a LAZULI BUNTING. We heard and saw it down slope just past the Vesper Sparrow spot. We had at least 3 possibly 4, singing on territory as we continued to hike down into Berkeley Park. Some of the other birds seen were;
Rufous Hummingbird 9
American Kestrel 4
Clark's Nutcracker 6
Mountain Chickadee 4