[Tweeters] Maine - June 2015 - The Short Version - Part I

Blair Bernson blair at washingtonadvisorygroup.com
Wed Jul 1 20:56:34 PDT 2015

I had the good fortune to spend 10 days birding in
Maine last month. This is a short version of my
write-up. The long version is full of details and
experiences but is 10 pages - far too long for
tweeters. I am trying to figure out how to do a
decent blog and if I figure it out I will put that
version there. In the meantime if anyone is
interested please email me and I will send it to
you. I also have posted a lot of photos on Picasa
and that link is at the end of this summary which
covers the first half of the trip - an organized tour.

My big break was discovering a tour offered by the
Schoodic Institute’s Bird Ecology Program
(www.schoodicinstitute.org) in partnership with
the Maine Birding Trail
(www.mainebirdingtrail.com) called “Mountains to
the Sea” which was designed with Bob Duchesne, a
natural history tour operator, and author of “The
Maine Birding Trail.” (It is THE definitive guide
to birds and birding in Maine – somewhat like Hal
Opperman’s book in Washington). It provided 4
nights lodging, 5 days of field trips, food, van
travel, a boat tour, and expert instructors with a
concentration on Baxter State Park and Acadia
National Park including a pelagic trip to Petit
Manan Island National Wildlife Refuge. This tour
was perfect as a start for me as it featured the
northern forest during the height of songbird
singing as well as the raucous seabird breeding
islands along the downeast coast of Maine. There
was going to be spectacular scenery and a great
variety of birds. Especially for the forest birds
I needed guides/help with good ears and with Bob
Duchesne as one of the leaders, this and site
expertise were guaranteed.

Although we failed to find ANY grouse, Baxter was
great with nesting Black Backed and American Three
Toed Woodpeckers as well as many warblers,
flycatchers, vireos, sparrows, thrushes and other
forest birds plus many moose and great scenery.
Acadia was also beautiful and was also full of
warblers etc but again no grouse. We had a great
interaction with a very wet Barred Owl on a rainy
day on a day when our boat trip was called off
because of rough seas. The following day the boat
had mechanical troubles but Seth Benz our terrific
leader from Schoodic came to the rescue and
arranged another boat which took us very close to
the island for great views of Atlantic Puffins,
Razorbills, Black Guillemots, Arctic and Common
Terns and Common Eiders.

I cannot say enough good things about Seth and Bob
and the Schoodic Institute which has fabulous
facilities at Acadia National Park. Great food
(yes including lobster), great birds and even
greater people.

On this part of my trip we had 100+ birds
including 20 warblers, 7 flycatchers, 9 sparrows
and almost no shorebirds or raptors.

Photos (including those from the second part of my
trip can be seen at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103072475474183849815/BestOfMaine?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLwn_anxb-WEw

--
Blair Bernson