[Tweeters] Re:Great Gray Owl at Reifel Bird Sanctuary in Delta BC Canada

kathleen kathleen at reifelbirdsanctuary.com
Fri Feb 27 14:35:26 PST 2015

Hi all,

If people want a general update and best guess at whether they would be able
to see the Great Gray Owl here at the Sanctuary, I have been updating part
of our website daily. Visit page
http://www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com/visitor.html and look for the February
updates. Every morning, our staff go looking for the bird to make sure it is
still around. If we can't find it, we generally let people know at the Gift
Shop and update the website to that effect. If we don't find it in the
morning, visitors should know that there is less likelihood of a viewing
that day.

If it is around, it is usually holed up in a cedar tree in an area that is
out of bounds, and we leave the bird to rest for the morning. Although
sometimes we have let small groups of 8-10 people into the roost site, it is
only after lunch, and usually only on those really bright days when the bird
might not appear out in the meadow until quite late. (One day last weekend,
we took about 20 of these small groups in for a very short viewing of just a
few minutes each, and spent the whole afternoon doing that until everyone
had had a look). Lately we have started to keep the big cameras and tripods
out of the narrow trail by the roost tree as there isn't much space and
seems to be too much equipment and noise underfoot for the bird. Later in
the day, it nearly always moves over to hunt in a nearby meadow, also closed
to visitors, but we let most interested visitors in at that point, as
everyone can stand on the roadway and get a good view.

I hope this helps people who might be planning a trip. Everyone has been
very good around this bird, but then again, the bird keeps to the areas out
of bounds to visitors, so all viewing has been supervised.

Kathleen Fry, R.P.Bio

Sanctuary Manager

George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary

www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com

Direct Line: 604-946-6985