[Tweeters] Brambling in Issaquah

Steve Pink pirangas at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 11:27:56 PST 2015

Hi,
There is a Brambling visiting a feeder in Issaquah recently. Initially news was only cautiously released for many good reasons not least to avoid crowds and disturbance to the quiet neighborhood.
I was there yesterday and the homeowner encouraged me to make sure that birders were aware of the bird. Recently the bird appears to make visits erratically - so you should be prepared for a wait. On Monday it did not make an appearance. Yesterday it showed at 10:35 and stayed for 10 minutes. When it does show it usually feeds on the deck railing allowing good views from the road.
I have pasted an earlier email from the homeowners Dan and Fran Pope. There is decent parking and homes on only one side of the street. Good luck, here is the message from Dan Pope:
"We saw the Brambling on Feb 4 and every day since, up to today (2/19). It hangs out with the Oregon Finches at our bird feeder and seems to enjoy the same cracked seeds. Usually seen at about 11:00 AM, time not reliable. We live on a side street, so anyone can come by to park and watch if it lights on our front deck railing where we spread the patio mix. It does light on the trees opposite our house at perhaps 30' height. We live at 625 Mt Fury Circle SW, Issaquah WA 98027, so can be found on Google Maps. If some one wants to come inside, they can call and we'll take it on a case by case basis. Most importantly, my wife says it's ok. From my own experience, this bird startles easily so a close up picture on our deck without glass in between is unlikely unless you use a remotely triggered camera. I took a half dozen pictures through glass with finches, so some show it with a finch and some do not. I love the side by side comparison. Our house is in mixed woods on the north side of Squak Mountain at 400' elevation, steep slope, fairly urban with 1/4 acre lots. Also fairly wild, with bears, cougars, coyotes, and bobcats passing through, and 100' conifers (all types). This month we are feeding two overwintering Anna's Hummingbirds, Song Sparrows, Fox Sparrows, Varied Thrushes, Chestnut-backed and Black-capped Chickadees, Steller's Jays, Red-breasted Nuthatches, a Pine Siskin and some kind of female Grosbeak (seems very early). Right now the surrounding forest has Pileated Woodpeckers, Brown Creepers, Golden-crowned Kinglet, and the usual assortment of wrens and difficult to see small birds like the bushtit. We have a lot of fun bird watching. What you see varies a lot with elevation, vegetation and water. Dan and Fran Pope.

Cheers and good birding
Steve Pink
Edmonds, WA
mailto: pirangas at hotmail.com