[Tweeters] some "spring" firsts, south Thurston Co

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Sat Feb 21 17:19:19 PST 2015

Tweets, Saturday morning I set out to find bluebirds, thinking I'd seen a "drive-by" the evening before in the vicinity of nest boxes south of Tumwater. Nothing, but I did hear a few FOS (for me) TREE SWALLOWs over a small patch of prairie. (There would be 25-30 at the Mull St marsh outside Tenino, along with a handful of VIOLET-GREEN, so they've probably been around a while.) The most reliable spot for WESTERN BLUEBIRD I know of is the nest box in the SW corner of the section of Weir Prairie that stretches N and E from Rainier x Military Rds. A pair was present atop the "stop" sign that hosts a nest box on the back side. No sign of Acorn Woodpecker which had been sighted from 123rd x Moes Rd in late fall. Two HUTTON'S VIREOs were dueting (FOS) along Military Rd that skirts the N side of McIntosh Lk. Sparrows, juncos, and towhees were in full voice, and several groups of CROSSBILL were present at several locations. When I arrived home a pair of calling BALD EAGLEs were engaged in some sort of display flight directly overhead. Very cool! 46 species for the two hours. Good birding!
-- Paul Hicks / Tenino / phicks AT accessgrace DOT org (soon: paulhicks7373 AT gmail . com)