[Tweeters] Re: Swan die-off

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:29:09 PST 2015

As many of you may know we are in the midst of a serious Trumpeter Swan
die-off likely due to lead poisoning from lead shot ingestion. The core area
is from Duval/Carnation south into Fall City zone. Most of the deaths are
centered south of Carnation to Fall City. While I do not have a complete
count compiled, at this time the number of deaths in this geographic area is
at least 40.

We, WDFW and The Trumpeter Swan Society, are working to gather information
on swan use in this area for January to present. If any of you recall where
you saw sheet water in the fields following the January flood and swans
using these fields or wetlands, please let me know. Please keep an eye out
for swans that you see throughout the Snoqualmie Valley at this time. Also,
if you see a single swan somewhere or a dead swan or feather pile please
Any information is potentially helpful. We are working daily and long hours
on this swan mortality event.

Please note that all swans found dead need to be collected quickly to
prevent raptors, especially eagles, from eating them and getting secondarily
poisoned from the lead shot in the gizzards and intestines of the dead
swans.

Thank you for helping us solve this sad and unexpected event.

Martha Jordan
Washington Swan Stewards
The Trumpeter Swan Society
PMB 272, 914- 164th St SE