[Tweeters] Belated V Day Post and Bewick's Moment, etc. / Caryn/Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Wed Feb 18 13:51:59 PST 2015

Tweeters -

Had a fun day birding at Alki on Valentine's Day - using both the suggestion from Eric Kolwalcyzk and Birding in Seattle and King County by Gene Hunn.

We first stopped at Jack Block (almost wrote Black!) Park. We enjoyed seeing several Goldeneyes, both Common and Barrows. Several Grebes of which I finally id'd as Horned (out of breeding plumage). There were a several Mergansers - think they were Red Breasted (no white chin?). Also had an Anna's sitting in a shrub so close in front of me I nearly missed it!

At the boat launch (after having lunch at Marinations - GREAT Fish n Chips by the way) I spotted a banded Cormorant (BZ9 red on left and silver band on rt foot).

On to Alki, Constellation and Duwamish Head. Combined we saw Brant, Sanderling...they were so many people I think the birds were avoiding the beach.

Sadly did not see any Surfbird or Turnstones. We shall try again another day and at a better tide.

In my garden the day after Alki, lots of "hooking up" and territorializing going on. At one point I heard a squabble and a couple of Bewick's Wrens came rolling over the fence like a miniature tumbleweed and landed nearly at my feet. They broke up and one went into a shrub and the other stood there looking dazed not aware of my presence at all. Finally they went along their way. I was wishing they had landed on me as like I was a tree.

We still are having many Siskins and Juncos, and many Robins. Can I just ask - does anyone else think Robins sound a little Eagle-like?

Caryn / Wedgwood