[Tweeters] Mason County 2/16

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 22:35:29 PST 2015

Hey Tweets!

I took today at a much more leisurely pace, exploring the West part of the county and picking up just a few more birds before heading home. Early AM did not bring Barred Owl or Ruffed Grouse as hoped, and my run to Nahwatzel Lake (and the surrounding area) failed to turn up any bluebirds, coots or Northern Harriers. I did find a Red-breasted Sapsucker at a clearcut for 99, and Hairy Woodpecker two trees away for the 100th bird of the year for me in Mason County. Tom Mansfield was also in the county today, and we helped each other out by email; he found the Snow Goose I had yesterday at Hunter Farms, as well as a flock of Greater White-fronted, which I was able to find for 101.

The rest of the day was kind of unproductive. More searching for Black Scoter, Pacific Loon and Eared Grebe. How many Surf Scoters do I have to look at? I made another stop at Theler to try for the Ring-necked Pheasant there with no luck. Other good sightings there recently have included Cackling Geese and Ruddy Duck, but those also failed to make an appearance.

I'm not planning to head out again until March... But... I mean... I do have the week off... Hehe

Tim Brennan
Renton