[Tweeters] Mason county February big day

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 05:15:28 PST 2015

Hey Tweets!

I hit Mason County for another big day yesterday and came out with 78 species seen. I'll put up a blog post later in the week, but here are the birds that added to the year list:

Western Screech-Owl (86), Great Horned Owl (87), Northern Saw-whet Owl (88). These three were all found on Elfendahl Pass Road, and the WESO was a particularly nice surprise, given their decline over here. Barn Owl (89), at Theler while looking for Barred (which I am still missing), followed by Brown Creeper (90) and Bushtit (91) there after the sun came up. Thayer's Gull (92) at the mouth of the Skokomish, Snow Goose (93), and a Sharp-shinned Hawk (94) at Hunter Farms were next. I had a single Pied-Billed Grebe (95) along Purdy Cutoff Road, and my first taste of spring with four Tree Swallowd (96) on Skokomish Valley Road. Finally, at Pickering Passage, I found Pigeon Guillemots (97), and a Brandt's Cormorant (98).

Bob Flores ran a contest (seemingly a month ago... Jeez these are two very different counties!) for people to guess what his 100th bird was in Clark County. I'll ask what people think my 100th year bird *will* be! My running tally is in my blog, plus the birds above. I'm starting my Monday birding at Still Waters Farms, before going up to the mouth of the Skokomish again to stare at more salt water. The Eels Springs Hatchery is on my itinerary for the fourth time this year, as well as Lake Nahwatzel and the Matlock area.

Oh! It's a contest, so... The first correct guess emailed to me will get... Um... A thrift shop mug, emblazoned with a Mason County business or locale! That means I'm hunting for two of them tomorrow.

Happy Birding!

Tim Brennan, Renton
Www.masoncountybirding.blogspot.com