[Tweeters] some info about the found LEOW - 2/11/15

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 23:24:25 PST 2015

I received word tonight from Jamie Acker and George Gerdts, that George picked up the deceased Long-eared Owl at the Port Susan Reserve after they found it on a field trip today. Jennifer must have make the eBird report. Some one contacted WDFW by that agency's hotline and now George awaits recommendations for steps to take next with the body. He will report further information as he gets it. One thing he didn't get a chance to determine, was the sex of the owl. He wanted to minimally touch the dead bird, in light of the possibility of an avian flu connection.

If any of you make any more LEOW sightings in the next days, in the Eide area, it would be very helpful to know of them. Please make any reports to Tweeters (or me) even, if you report on eBird, too, so that all of us who care about this story and the birds, can get the latest news. Not everyone easily accesses eBird...

Despite the heartbreaking news of the loss of one of the birds that has brought so many of us joy these past couple of months, we owe it to each other and the owls to learn some things from this unfortunate demise, in order to make our future journey together more harmonious. I look forward to that.

Thanks to George and Jamie for reporting in to us. More to come.

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net