[Tweeters] 2/9/15 Bird-day / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Wed Feb 11 08:29:58 PST 2015

Hi Tweeters -

As time was too short to do any of the great suggestions (even as close as they are), my new "Bird-day Buddy" (the one I met at the fill the day before our shared birthday of 2/9 quite by accident - I have an unseen but well heard Marsh Wren to thank for that!! ;-)) went to both Tracy Owen Park and Log Boom Park. The weather was perfect - calm, balmy and only a brief very light sprinkle - as we were leaving.

For such a brief outing, we did great. My new friend has only been birding a year - she lives in the Upper West Side of NY (I was from a bit more upstate) - but birds regularly in Central Park and has taken some amazing photos. Many of the birds here she was already familiar with since seeing them there, including Wood Ducks. She spotted the 1st one on the shore at Log Boom and then as we looked closer there were 5 males and at least 3 females. They did a big group splash together.

We also saw a male and female Common Goldeneye, Common Mergansers (still trying to figure if we also saw Red Breasted also), Scaups, Pied Billed Grebe, Buffleheads, Mallards, a nice line up of Cormorants (I must say I have not studied them so closely - their feathers are really quite beautiful - like a burnt bark pattern).

My new friend was impressed by my sound id skills - hearing a Bewick's Wren and Spotted Towhee which we did then find in the Redtwig Dogwood. I did explain they are both regular in my garden. There was also a small warbler type bird - not sure if it was a Yellow Rumped - is there something similar - it just didn't look the same. Argh.

Sorry to say I didn't see any of the Blue Herons I just saw mentioned by Linda Phillips. Probably missed them. I wish I would have thought to take Cindi to the heronry. Don't think we would have had the time. I know Cindi was then heading to Juanita Bay Park on the way back to her hotel. I was envious I couldn't go since it was great birding weather! I'm awaiting a report and hopefully some photos from her.

Thank you to all who sent great suggestions along with "Bird-day Wishes" - which I actually plan to do this weekend since I'll have a little more time. Definitely Alki.

It was a great Bird-day!!

Caryn / One year older in Wedgwood ;-)