[Tweeters] Swans and lead poisoning!!

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 19:51:43 PST 2015

Hi all,
There has been a serious spike in swan deaths in the Carnation to Fall City area the past 10 days. From preliminary results it is lead poisoning from ingestion of lead shot. WDFW is working to better understand the extent of the deaths and the source of the lead shot.
Your help is needed to provide more eyes in the field to spot swans both healthy and sick or dead. We need to document where the swans are feeding in their everyday life as well as knowing where sick, dead are located. When you are out birding in this general geographic area, this includes Sikes Lake, Lake Langlois, all agricultural field in between and as far south as Fall City and maybe beyond and a bit north of Carnation please note where you observe swans feeding. Be as specific as possible in your notes. And, if you see a sick or dead swan please contact me ASAP. I am working in cooperation with WDFW on this issue.
How to know if a swan is sick: if it is alone in a field or wetland likely it is ill. If a swan is sitting up on shore alone or even with a single family group it may be one or more members is ill.
If you are unsure, give me a call.

Dead swans and Canada geese and suspected sick swans: please report them immediately by phone to: 425-787-0258 or 206-713-3684. Email is not fast enough for us to get to the birds before they are predated. We want to pick them up ASAP to prevent secondary poisoning in eagles and other raptors in addition to confirming the cause of death.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Martha Jordan
Everett, WA