[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon Whidbey trip Sat 7 Feb 15

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Mon Feb 9 18:52:06 PST 2015

Hi Tweets

A late report of the trip SAS took to Whidbey Island on Saturday. The day
started out overcast and misty, rainy. At the Mukilteo ferry terminal we had
a large group of SURF SCOTERs, some COMMON GOLDENEYE and BARROW'S GOLDENEYE.
A single RHINOCEROS AUKLET (our only one for the day) gave us a quick look
before flying off. BRANDT'S and PELAGIC CORMORANTs and ROCK PIGEONs. As we
pulled out there was a PIGEON GUILLEMOT. There must have been at least 200
BRANT strung out in mid-channel. There were a lot fewer birds than usual at
the Clinton terminal - probably because the currents and wind were from the
south..

We made our first Whidbey stop at Deer Lake, but only saw a couple of
MALLARDs. We then ran down to Dave Mackey Park in Maxwellton. There we saw
HORNED GREBE, MALLARD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, COMMON LOON, RED-BREASTED
MERGANSER, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, BALD EAGLE, GREAT BLUE HERON, and ANNA'S
HUMMINGBIRD at feeders at a house across from the park. (We also saw HARBOR
SEAL and HARBOR PORPOISE). We stopped and the Environmental Learning Center
near the intersection of Maxwellton and Sells Rds - there were PACIFIC and
BEWICK'S WRENs, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET.

Up at the Ewing Rd. wetlands we saw MALLARDs, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, RING-NECKED
DUCK, GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, NORTHERN PINTAIL,
BUFFLEHEAD, CANADA GOOSE, HOODED MERGANSER, GREAT BLUE HERON, RED-WINGED
BLACKBIRD, AMERICAN COOT, BELTED KINGFISHER, AMERICAN CROW, BLACK-CAPPED
CHICKADEE. Deer Lagoon had a very high tide with no exposed mud and few
birds. A BELTED KINGFISHER, and a calling HOUSE SPARROW were the only birds.
By this time the mist had stopped and we had mostly overcast and dry the
rest of the day (we even had some blue sky showing to the west).

Holmes Harbor, in Freeland, had a couple of BUFFLEHEAD, a COMMON GOLDENEYE,
a distant BALD EAGLE, some GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLs, a couple of MEW GULLs.
Bush Point yielded PELAGIC CORMORANT, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, BUFFLEHEAD,
and PACIFC LOON

The Crockett Lake area had WESTERN MEADOWLARK, SURF SCOTER, GREATER SCAUP,
BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, HOODED MERGANSER, a SHORT-EARED OWL perched in
the opposite shore (nice looks when it eventually flew), a ROUGH-LEGGED
HAWK, a RED-TAILED HAWK and a couple of NORTHERN HARRIERS. The old platform
near the ferry terminal gave us all three Cormorants - DOUBLE-CRESTED,
PELAGIC and BRANDT'S. The bluff at the lighthouse at Fort Casey State Park
basically only gave us a view of a SPOTTED TOWHEE.

Running into Coupeville we saw many, many BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS. The Treatment
Plant in Coupeville gave us nice looks out a Penn Cove and BARROW'S and
COMMON GOLDENEYE, SURF SCOTER. At Kennedy Lagoon there were a couple of
GREATER YELLOWLEGS. Out at the Libbey Beach park there were nice looks at a
pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKs, a couple of HORNED GREBEs, RED-NECKED GREBE and
some distant SURF SCOTERs. At the Hasty Lake Access we had a PURPLE FINCH
perched in a tree.

Swantown/Bos Lake held MALLARDs, GADWALL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN
PINTAIL, RUDDY DUCK, BALD EAGLE, COMMON RAVEN. A stop at the Oak Harbor
Marina gave us a very quick flyby of about 5 BLACK TURNSTONEs who
disappeared into the marina. Dugualla Bay/Lake showed us MALLARDs, GADWALL,
RING-NECKED DUCK, GREATER SCAUP, CANVASVACKs and 62 TRUMPETER SWANs.

Along Dodge Valley Road we had both TUNDRA and TRUMPETER SWANs. A stop at
the Valentine Road feeders showed BLACK-CAPPED and CHESTNUT-BACKED
CHICKADEEs, DOWNY WOODPECKER, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, SPOTTED
TOWHEE, DARK-EYED JUNCO, HOUSE FINCH, We dropped down to Fir Island on the
way home and finished the day with a field of SNOW GEESE.

At other spots we saw LONG-TAILED DUCK, RED-THROATED LOON, WESTERN GREBE,
KILLDEER, RING-BILLED GULL, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, MOURNING DOVE,
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, AMERICAN ROBIN, and PINE SISKIN.

A good day with good folks - we saw 79 species for the day.

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville Wa

mail to bell asoc at iso me dia dot com