[Tweeters] Mystery Wrentit-like bird song

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:21:28 PST 2015

Hello Tweets,

This morning while walking outside, I heard a birdsong that surprised me. It had a bouncing-ball rhythm, and it reminded me immediately of a Wrentit. Unfortunately, I was in a rush to get somewhere, and the bird only called twice, so I could not get a recording. Upon arriving at my destination, I checked my bird resources (the Merlin app - very useful for listening to bird songs on your phone!) and lo and behold - the song I heard was pretty much an exact match to the Wrentit recording!

Now of course, it would be very unlikely that I heard a Wrentit singing in my Seattle neighborhood - a first state record over 100 miles north of the Columbia River for a bird reluctant to cross even 30 feet of open space! So, if it's not a Wrentit, what else could it be?

The only other North American bird that I know of with a bouncing-ball song is the Field Sparrow, and that bird's song rises in pitch, while the one I heard stayed the same, or maybe dropped a bit in pitch at the end.

Again, it sounded just like a Wrentit - bouncing-ball accelerating rhythm, and the notes of the song had the same tone as the Wrentit does. I'll keep looking and listening!

Thanks for your help, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com