[Tweeters] (Clark Co) Long-eared Owl - yes

Luke Hanes lukeandharmony1997 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 09:56:52 PST 2015

At 5:50am today (on NW Krieger Rd - where the power lines head into the
refuge) I was approaching the blackberry bushes and suddenly heard a very
loud, intimidating screech which I took for the Long-eared's "high
intensity alarm" call. It stopped me in my tracks (you know, pitch dark,
foggy, all alone in the forest...). I stood still for a long time. Then I
moved again and heard the same call. Freaked me out. I stood there for
another 30 minutes listening to Great Horned Owls in the distance.

This morning I've listened to recordings of several alarms calls from other
owls and nothing seems to match what I heard except for the Long-eared
Owl. That plus Bob's report of hearing/seeing it the other day from this
same location give me confidence to record it as identified. Any rebuttals?

Luke Hanes
Vancouver, WA (Felida)
lukeandharmony1997 at gmail.com