[Tweeters] Skamania Harris's Sparrow more info

Randy Hill re_hill at q.com
Wed Dec 30 21:59:57 PST 2015

Jim Danzenbaker and I headed east after lunch to see what is going on in
Skamania County. The answer was.........lots of wind. Downed branches from
stormy weather, white caps on the river, but ice-free driving on SR14.

We found Tundra and Trumpeter Swans at Franz Lake. When we got to the
Skamania Landing bridge at the east end of the loop about 2pm, the Harris's
Sparrow was seen within 10 seconds in a small tree on the southwest side of
the bridge opposite the yard with feeder. While I fumbled for my camera I
distinctly saw it stick its tongue out at me, stay on the wrong side of a
small branch, and finally drop down out of view, not to be relocated. It
will probably be there for other visitors to either admire or be frustrated
by. East of the bridge in the restoration wetland there were several
Cackling Geese with Canadas. Also nice feeder viewing on the lower
(north/lakeside) loop road heading toward the west entry off SR14 that
included a male Cassiar-race junco. Not much else of note.

Randy Hill
Ridgefield