[Tweeters] Black Phoebe, Am. Tree Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow in Kent (King Co) 12/30/15

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 30 14:33:11 PST 2015

Hi Tweeters -
Between dips on the Common Redpolls on 26th Ave. S & Lucile, I ran down to Kent to see whether the Black Phoebe was still around 204th & Frager — Arrived to find Mark & Lee Crawford with it teed up in their scope. Nice! We watched from the east edge of the pond as it worked the far [west] side.

On a hunch that the recent report of a possible Chipping Sparrow was more likely an American Tree Sparrow, we poked around a bit and before long turned up a nice bright Am. Tree Sparrow - it was a little ways west on 204th, staying with a mixed flock of Juncos & White-crowned Sparrows along the road near a 25mph sign.

Finally, I spent a little while toward the west end of 204th before it goes up hill where the swampy willow mess that has replaced the formerly great shorebird spot turned out to be hosting a Swamp Sparrow.

Nice collection of birds to end the King Co year on!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA