[Tweeters] Likely Yellow-bellied Sapsucker seen in Bellevue

Andrew McCormick andy_mcc at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:39:42 PST 2015

Hello Tweets,

I apologize that my original message bounced because I attached photographs. Unfortunately, I do not have a site to which I post photos, so I cannot include them. I have posted to eBird and included photos there. I and a few others attempted to relocate this bird on Sunday with several visits to the park, but it did not show up during our visits.

On Saturday, Dec, 26 around 3:00 p.m. during the Seattle Audubon Christmas Bird Count, an adult female YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER was seen actively foraging sap wells in the trees on the north side of the old visitor center of the Bellevue Botanical Gardens at 12001 Main Street, Bellevue. It is in the area called the Waterwise Garden. A BARRED OWL was also seen in the south side of the park.

Tom Weir first spotted the sapsucker and all seven members of our party saw it as it stayed in place for at least 20 minutes flying between trees. The only red on the bird was on the crown. Its throat is white. We had many close looks and consulted field guides to make the identification. It was still there when we left after several members of our party took photos. I reported it at the SAS CBC potluck dinner Saturday night.

>From Bellevue,

Andy McCormick