[Tweeters] Pt. Brown Jetty-Ocean Shores sea watch

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:49:58 PDT 2015

Hi tweeters,

Highlights from my 3 hour sea watch from the Pt. Brown Jetty at the south
end of Ocean Shores (Grays Harbor County) this morning was a single MANX
SHEARWATER at 7:30am. There was (and maybe still is) an immature
Black-legged Kittiwake perched at the end of the jetty. Found at about
7:15, it was still there when I left at 9:15.

Cackling Goose: 445
Greater White-fronted Goose: 250
Black Brant: 1
Sooty Shearwater: 72
MANX SHEARWATER: 1 (about 100 meters away for about 45 seconds)
Pacific Loon: 875
Common Loon: 80
Red-throated Loon: 12
Western Grebe: 4
Green-winged Teal: 17
Lesser Scaup: 11
American Wigeon: 17
Surf Scoter: 286
White-winged Scoter: 28
Rhinoceros Auklet: 14
Common Murre: 150
Marbled Murrelet: 2
Pigeon Guillemot: 6
Bonaparte's Gull: 35
gulls: YES (didn't count but included California, Glaucous-winged and
Western)
Black Turnstone: 2
Western Sandpiper: 62
Sanderling: 750 (on the beach north of the jetty)
Semipalmated Plover: 5

and probably a few other things that I didn't write down.....

Later in the morning, I walked up the beach past the northern limit of
where vehicles can drive (just west of the town of Ocean City). Highlights
included over 5000 shorebirds including a beautiful alternate plumaged RED
KNOT and a very nice immature GLAUCOUS GULL. Lots of very bleached/worn
Glaucous-winged type gulls too. I particularly enjoyed acrobatic flocks of
Western Sandpipers and Dunlin (mostly) using avoidance flight while two
Peregrines tried to figure out how to catch a quick meal.

Hopefully things will stick around for the shorebird festival which starts
tomorrow.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--