[Tweeters] Birding by ear

wong chupaflor at igc.org
Sun Apr 26 09:48:57 PDT 2015

If anyone wants to practice their birding by ear skills in Seattle, I recommend the local parks, specifically places such as Discovery, Lincoln, Carkeek and Magnuson Parks. I realize there are many other areas, but those are the ones with which I have the most experience in Seattle proper.

Yesterday at Discovery Park, we heard several Black-throated Gray Warblers, Orange-crowned Warblers, at least two Hutton's Vireos, one Cassin's Vireo, several Savannah Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Spotted Towhees, Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped and Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Bewick's Wrens, House Finches, Am. Goldfinches, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Pacific-Sloped Flycatchers, Anna's and Rufous Hummingbirds, Pileated and Downy Woodpeckers, Am. Robins, and N. Flickers. We saw and heard other birds, but the ones listed were the most vocal in the form of songs, chips and calls.

With most of the deciduous trees now leafed out, there is ample opportunity for some good heard-but-not-seen experience.

good birding,
isadora wong
seattle, wa
chupaflor at igc.org