[Tweeters] Re: Cormorants on navigation tower, Half Moon Bay, Westport

bill shelmerdine georn1 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 06:07:44 PDT 2015

Kelly et. al.
Good question. All three cormorants appear to nest and at least roost on the tower. Last weekend when I was out there I estimated the following: 70 Double Crested, 30 Brandt's, and 20 Pelagics. This is surely an under counting and a rough estimate due to views being obscured by the structural members of the tower etc. Honestly I thought there would be more Brandt's and less D.C.'s there. There is definitely a hierarchy there. The Pelagic's occupy perimeter locations; the Brandt's dominate the lower platform, and the D.C.'s tend to dominate the upper platforms, but their larger size and preferred perches on the cross beams obscure the birds in the centers of the platforms.
Good Birding...
Bill Shelmerdine