[Tweeters] Harlequin Ducks @ West Point Lighthouse

Michael Fleming michaelfleming01 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 14:58:17 PDT 2015

This morning I birded at a few locations in Discovery Park. The
weekend is definitely not the best time to bird this park (especially
on such a nice day) due to the hoards of people. I arrived quite
early and know the layout of the park well so I was able to avoid most
of the mass of humanity in the area.
Birding was actually quite good early on and I ended up with 47
species as my tally for the morning. Best birds were probably the
pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS that I observed flying near the lighthouse a
couple of times, which are not very common at the park. A few other
birds seen (besides noting that BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS are back)
included:

BRANT - quite a few along the North Shore

HORNED & RED-NECKED GREBES - a couple of each in stunning breeding plumage

BRANDT'S, PELAGIC, & DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS - just a single
Brandt's diving near the lighthouse, and a couple Pelagics in the
area.

OSPREY

CASPIAN TERN - a single bird

RHINOCEROS AUKLET - several birds near the lighthouse

PIGEON GUILLEMOT - just one individual

ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER - Myrtle

BLACK-THROATED GREY WARBLER