[Tweeters] Re: great egret in AZ

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 12:34:16 PDT 2015

In the first week of April I visited Phoenix, AZ. While on a bird walk at
Papago Park/botanical garden area we saw a great egret high in the sky. It
was soaring, much like a hawk or eagle. Wings spread and turning in large
circles. It was moving along but slowly as it occasionally flapped its
wings then soared again. It finally straightened its path, flapped a few
times and soared along some unseen thermal until out of sight. The local
bird group I was with said they had not seen this before.

Has anyone else ever seen great egrets soar like this?

Martha Jordan
Everett, WA